At least 35 dead including children as Saudi-led coalition air strike hits hotel in Yemen
At least 35 people were killed during air strikes that struck a small hotel near a Houthi checkpoint north of the capital Yemen, Sanaa, Wednesday, local doctor and Houthi television station.
The roof of the hotel collapsed, leaving at least two bodies hanging from the building, said a witness in the Arhab region, about 20 km (13 miles) from Sanaa.
The report said the attack struck a small hotel but made no direct reference to civilian casualties or combatants.
A spokesman for the Saudi coalition, which is fighting the Iranian Houthis in Yemen, was not available for comment.
The Houthis, which control Sanaa and northern Yemen, are fighting against the internationally recognized Yemeni government, backed by the Saudi military alliance in a war that killed at least 10,000 people and triggered a humanitarian catastrophe.
A doctor told Reuters that 35 bodies had been recovered from the rubble but more victims were supposed to be inside. Houthi-run al-Masira TV said earlier that 30 “martyrs” had been killed.
At least 13 people were injured in the strikes, which followed a series of air strikes in the surrounding area during the night, the doctor added.
Earlier this month, a senior United Nations official condemned the recent air strikes reported in Yemen, including a house containing children, saying they showed “contempt” for the safety of civilians.
The Saudi coalition refused to target the family home after a health official said that nine civilians were killed in an air strike.
The United States and Great Britain provide weapons and logistical assistance to the alliance for its campaign. The issue has caused controversy in Britain over the toll of civilians. Air strikes have also hit hospitals, infrastructure and port facilities, compounding the humanitarian crisis.
A report by international aid agencies last week said that Yemen has suffered more air strikes in the first half of this year than in the whole of 2016, increasing the number of civilian deaths and forcing more people To flee their homes.
The number of air strikes in the first half of 2017 is 5,676, according to the report of the Protection Cluster in Yemen, which is headed by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), compared with 3,936 for the ” 2016.
The report did not identify any party as responsible for air strikes, but the Saudi-led coalition has controlled Yemeni airspace since the start of the war in March 2015. US forces also conducted strikes Aerial or raids using drones.
The United Nations has put the record of the dead since the war began in March 2015 to more than 10,000 ….