Lt Colonel Purohit, Accused in 2008 Malegaon Blast Case, Walks Out of Jail After 9 Years
New Delhi, August 23: Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Shrikant Purohit, the main accused in the 2008 Malegaon case, was released Taloja jail in New Bombay after spending about eight years and eight months in prison on Wednesday. Purohit will be attached to an Army unit, but will remain suspended from duty. Six army vehicles escorted Purohit after his release from the Taloja prison.
On Monday, the Supreme Court granted bail to Purohit in the Malegaon case, which cost six lives. Sources said he remains in suspension, but since he has now been sentenced to bail, he must be attached to an army unit. The order of your publication will come after your bail orders arrive at the headquarters of the Army.
Purohit was suspended from duty on 20 January 2009 after his arrest. He was assigned to the Deolali canton of the Indian Army in Maharashtra as an officer of the liaison unit when he was arrested.
You can report to the unit from where you were arrested. Their suspension will be discussed later, sources said. Under the rules, suspension, which will be treated as “open stop state”, where usually a soldier is supposed to wear only his uniform.
Purohit, in suspension, can also wear civilian clothing.
Your stay in your Army unit will come with restrictions as a restricted traffic zone, you will not leave the station without permission and will postpone daily. Neither would he be allowed to attend a public event or meeting.
Purohit’s return to active duty will depend on the final verdict in the case, sources said. During the suspension, a soldier gets 25 percent of his salary. However, Purohit asked the Armed Forces Tribunal, which ordered him to receive 75 percent of his salary.
Last week, Purohit, appealing his bail, told the court that he had been in jail for nine years and was entitled to bail. Denying his involvement in the incident, Purohit told the court that, even supposing that the accusation that had supplied the bomb was real, even being out of prison for the crime resulted in a maximum of seven years in prison.
His pending denunciation has already been dismissed by the Bombay High Court, after he approached the apex court. The Supreme Court’s court comprising RK Agrawal and AM Sapre, while granting bail, said: “We have canceled the order of the Bombay Supreme Court.”
September 29, 2008, a bomb on a motorcycle exploded near Hamidia Masjid in Malegaon, a textile-sensitive town in the Nasik district of northern Maharashtra. The blast claimed six lives and wounded 101. The case was initially determined by the Maharashtra Police (ATS) counter-terrorism team, and then by the NIA in 2011.